If I had to decide a favourite between booze and cake I’m not sure I could give you an answer. Hence why I’m a big fan of combining my two great loves in an alcohol laced cup-cake. This week I had everything in for cherry and almond cakes and as I was musing over the fact that these flavours make up my favourite ‘bakewell’ inspired cocktails, I decided to make these drinks in cake form! These cakes are really easy to bake and are full of flavour, so if you’re a fan of amaretto then you can’t go far wrong with this recipe!
Ingredients (makes 12):
3 tbsp Amaretto
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
200g Self Raising Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
50g Ground Almonds
50g Glace Cherries (chopped)
2 tbsp Milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and line cake trays with 12 cases.
- In a mixing bowl cream together the butter and the sugar until soft and fluffy.
- In a mug whisk the eggs with a fork, then add the amaretto and vanilla essence. Whisk these ingredients together, then add to the butter and sugar bit by bit, mixing well in between.
- Sift in the flour and the baking powder, then add the ground almonds and mix.
- Add the chopped cherries and combine.
- Add the milk to the mixture and stir, then with two spoons divide the mix evenly between the cake cases.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, doing the fork test after 20 just to be on the safe side! Once the fork comes out clean, take out the cakes and leave to cool on a rack.
- Dust over icing sugar and finish with half a cherry on each, then enjoy!