The Christmas season is well and truly upon us, and what calls for a little luxury in our lives more than Christmas? That’s where Fortnum and Mason come in, one of the most luxury department stores in the UK (or the world? I’m gonna say the world), and this year they’ve challenged me to get creative with some of their Christmas treats. Hampers are always a great way to spoil someone at Christmas, and not only can the goodies in the Fortnum hampers be used by themselves, they can also inspire some Christmas cooking or baking! Upon receiving my mini Christmas hamper the bucks fizz marmalade simply cried out to me, just begging to be made into a cake. Of course, the recipe below can be used with normal marmalade, it will just lose some of the decadence (and I’m pretty sure a slosh of prosecco instead of milk won’t work, but feel free to try!)
175g Light brown sugar
175g Self-raising flour
1 tbsp Mixed spice
6 tbsp Bucks Fizz Marmalade
2 tbsp Milk
Icing sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 170°C and foil line and grease two shallow cake tins.
- Next beat the butter on it’s own with an electric whisk until creamy and pale
- Gradually beat in the sugar until light and fluffy
- In a separate bowl or mug beat together the eggs, then gradually add to the mixture, beating after each addition.
- Sift in the flour and the mixed spice, then gently fold in to the mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Once combined, stir in 3 tbsps of the marmalade and the milk.
- Divide evenly between the two cake tins and put in the oven for 50 minutes until golden on the top.
- Once done, turn out the cakes onto a cooling rack and leave to cool.
- Once cool, spread the remaining marmalade in between the two halves (heat in the microwave for 20 seconds to make it easier to spread)
- Finally, put the other half on top and dust with icing sugar
As you can see this cake is really simple and easy to make, and perfect if you want to put a Christmas twist on an old favourite! Fortnum and Mason have a huge range of Christmas hampers, and I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t be delighted to receive one so if you’re still stuck for presents what are you waiting for!
*I was sent this mini hamper by Fortnum and Mason and challenged to create a recipe.